Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Must Read....

In my profession, I am finding that a lot of men think I am a foreigner. Hence the latest story...

A few weeks ago at work, another stylist had a male client in her chair. I was cleaning and talking to them at the same time. Here is the conversation:

Male, early 50's, balding so we will call him, "Mr. Bald".

Mr. Bald: Where are you from?

Me: You talking to me?

Mr. Bald: Yeah. Where are you from? You have the coolest accent ever.

Me: I was born and raised in Utah.

Mr. Bald: What?! How is that? Your accent...

Me: I am hearing impaired and so, that is why I have a cool accent.

Mr. Bald: Oh my gosh, you need to play it like you really are from somewhere. I honestly thought you were from either Northern Scotland or Darwin, Australia.

Me: Ha ha ha ha!

No lie...45 minutes later, I have a client in my chair. Here is our conversation...

Male, mid-twenties, Hispanic, so let's call him, Jose!

Jose: Where are you from? You have the coolest accent.

Me: (trying not to laugh) Northern Scotland.

Jose: I knew it!!!

Me: Ha ha ha ha. No, I was born and raised here.

Jose: What?! I really thought you were from Scotland!

Me: Yes, really. I am hearing impaired and that is my deaf accent!


So, apparently I have the "coolest accent"! I am amazed at how many men have asked me over the years and truthfully, the big kick is seeing their eyes get really big when told that I am hearing impaired. Never fails.

9 of my Peeps!:

The Laundry Queen said...

So, wait.... you're *not* from Northern Scotland?!? I have *soooo* been lying to people....

Elise said...

No way...I guess I have known you for so long that I have never thought about you having an "accent", let alone a Scottish one! Good stuff!

Britney said...

haha that's cool. I thought you were from another country when I first met you. Especially since you have a foreign sounding name.

Michelle said...

haha That's awesome! You should totally play along and pretend you are from somewhere new every day! Your story gave me a good laugh for the day!

Megan said...

That is too funny! I needed that laugh at work... thank you :) And for the record, you are adorable!

Ang said...

Ha ha ha he he he! I'm still laughing! Love it!

elisabeth said...

SIGRID!
Hahahaha! This story reminded me of hair school...
I love you.

Kris said...

I KNOW EXACTLY what you are talking about. I get it a lot too! Mine is usually "Are you from Europe?" I just roll with it. If I tell people I am hearing impaired....they do that stupid thing...you know.....talk REAL slow or REAL loud or try to "sign" to you....some days it's hard to keep a straight face!

Mister said...

Great story.